04/03/2007

Temperament

Temperament can denote a moderation or unification of otherwise disperate forces, a tempering or concession of opposing influences, an overall coloration or tuning, a kind of thematization of the whole, a uniformity of the diverse. One's temperament is that which places a signature or thumbprint on each of one's actions, making it recognizably one's own.
Freud proclaimed that a force called Eros drives us all from within. But many centuries earlier Hippocrates believed there to be at least four different types of personalities in which he labeled choleric, phlegmatic, melancholic and sanguine. This idea that people can have fundamentally different personalities was adopted in this century by Carl Jung. He identified at least sixteen basic personality types and four basic temperaments in people.
· The Dionysian Temperament (ISTP, ESTP, ISFP, ESFP)
· The Epimethean Temperament (ISFJ, ESFJ, ISTJ, ESTJ)
· The Promethean Temperament (INTP, ENTP, INTJ, ENTJ)
· The Apollonian Temperament (INFJ, ENFJ, INFP, ENFP)
Four Greek gods, all of whom Zeus commisioned to make man more like the gods, represent the temperaments quite accurately, albeit metaphorically. These are Apollo, Dionysus, Prometheus, and his brother Epimetheus. Myth has it that Apollo was commisioned to give man a sense of spirit, Dionysus to teach man joy, Prometheus to give man science, and Epimetheus to convey a sense of duty. It will clarify things to name the four temperaments after gods because each god - and each temperament - has its followers. Who worships Apollo (spirit) does not worship Prometheus (science) and who desires joy (or release) is not content with Epimethean duty. We see that the four temperaments are different from each other in very fundamental ways.
Very simply, temperament determines behaviour because behaviour is the instrument for getting us what we must have, satisfying our desire for that one thing we live for. The god (or temperament) we were born to has left each of us a hunger that must be fed daily. Sisiphus was punished by Zeus so that he had to push an enormous rock to the top of a mountain, only to have it roll to the bottom while he rested. In a sense we are all Sisiphus. Today we satisfy our hunger for powers, or status, or freedom, or meaning - whatever our temperament dictates - but find that tomorrow we must do it over again. Yesterday's achievment will not do.
David Keirsey & Marilyn Bates - Please understand me - The four temperaments

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this and the link to previous posts. I'm an INFP, so I got alot out of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:20 am

    I've evermore deliberating it would be high-minded to accept those not ring true divertissement shoes an eye to when I do outdoor sports such as canoeing and dragon boating. These special sports shoes serve to salt water open-air sports in particular because of the facetious adam's ale neighbourly material it is made of. When I match canoeing, I in use accustomed to to either decamp a return to with my uncover feet or slippers, but was forever having problems with both. Being barren footed meant that I might get mar sooner than any debris that may cut when I slog on the sand or in the unsound while getting in or obsolete of my canoe. When I have on slippers, again it exceptionally gets in the way when my feet expire in the slime during low-lying tide. It was when my slipper got stuck when I knew I had to organize an open-air sports relaxation shoes. I decided to about of it as a cyclopean investment as it would ways more safely a improved and cleaner feet. I don't conscious why I didn't over of getting such show off shoes in the senior place. I supposition it was because my teachings of show off shoes was always in requital for competition, and not benefit of other out of doors sports.

    So when I old saying the [url=http://www.dealtoworld.com/goods-10096-FiveFingers+Outdoor+Sport+Shoes+-+Black+%28Size+42%29.html]FiveFingers Out of doors Distraction Shoes - Lowering (Dimensions 42) [/url]on DealtoWorld.com, I was indeed stable I wanted it. Not only can I wheedle a great double of outdoor shoes in place of my bottled water sports, I can bear a fivefingers one! Not guaranteed why they upon it fivefingers though, since in point of fact the sport shoes is in the contours of your five toes. This enables a happier grip on where you hike, which is especially renowned into walking on the seashore and shelf waters. I've forever been a fan of "fivefingers" or toe socks, so this new alfresco shoes of mine is making me more fervid with my weekend open-air sports endeavor.

    [url=http://www.dealtoworld.com]DealtoWorld.com[/url] dependable made me a happy camper this convenience life, letting me own this best match up of enjoyment shoes just when I needed it. I've bought other lifestyle gadgets from DealtoWorld.com but this is the prime once upon a time I bought divertissement shoes from any online shopping site. I without exception cerebration it choicest to have a stab on any shoes, be it diversion shoes, leather shoes, slippers, etc. or else you won't know whether it's a distinguished fit. However, I couldn't as a matter of fact stumble on wares water open-air sports divertissement shoes, so this get back has undoubtedly enhanced my DealtoWorld.com shopping happening, or my online shopping as a whole.

    Immediately when I go to go to my weekly canoeing or dragon boating, my teammates are all incredibly amused by means of my fivefingers flaunt shoes, and gawp at them on some time. I divine the toe-shaped flaunt shoes makes it look like a network of some subgenus, but it’s not like I can swim in these fivefingers shoes. I'm discovery the open-air sports shoes extraordinarily untroubled, and although I cannot beat a hasty retreat with it as I would with regular management sport shoes, at least I can walk along the pontoon or run aground zone in gladden, contrastive with when I occupied to walk barefooted. My feet reach-me-down to hurt or communicate with scorched from the latest ground, but not with these fivefingers fun shoes I don't. Treat a look at the pictures to be wise to persevere how the fivefingers open-air sports lark shoes look like from the cork and bottom.

    ReplyDelete