17/05/2007

SAY NO TO COMMERCIAL WHALING!

The future of the whales will be decided in Anchorage, Alaska, in a couple of weeks time.
The key governments in the debate need to hear from you that you demand that the International Whaling Commission works to protect whales.
Since the International Convention on the Regulation of Whaling (ICRW) was agreed in 1946 to deal with the excessive hunting of the great whales, the world and the state of the oceans we depend on have changed enormously. Most of that change has not been for the better. Marine life is currently facing more threats than ever before. Whale populations, many already pushed to the brink of extinction by over-hunting in the 20th Century, are now under threat from climate change, ship strikes, marine pollution, over-fishing and underwater noise pollution. Adding commercial whaling to these threats simply makes no sense.
Say NO to commercial whaling with Greenpeace: http://write-a-letter.greenpeace.org/226

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:32 pm

    Every winter the humpback whales come from Alaska to calve in the warm waters of Hilo Bay, Hawaii. I love to watch them from my deck overlooking the Bay. It seems that the numbers have built up over the last years, but that is no excuse for killing whales now.
    I am against the killing of creatures in the wild. In fact I have become such a pacifist about that that I hesitate to kill even vermin.
    I'm no Albert Schweitzer, but I do care about the wild things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, you are very lucky to be able to see them, truly amazing that from your deck you can watch the Humpbacks. I am glad to hear that the numbers are building up again and hope to see them myself sometime in the future.
    Thanks for this inspiring comment!

    ReplyDelete